Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Stop Calling It That!

I've been saying for a while now that the tensions in Iraq aren't a civil war and it looks like my man Rummy agrees with me :
U.S. intelligence analysts are examining possible civil war scenarios and responses, Rumsfeld said.

Rumsfeld said today Pentagon analysts are trying to establish criterion for distinguishing between sectarian violence and a civil war and trying to answer questions such as ``what would it look like and what might be its progression?''

"It's a hard thing to do," he said. "Until I've had a chance to think more about it, I will say, I don't think it will look like the United States' Civil War."
Even if the situation in Iraq worsens, there are a lot of differences between that conflict and the civil war. In the war of Northern Aggression, the battlefields were filled with brother fighting brother. In the end, patriots on both sides put aside their differences in order to free the slaves. What we're seeing in Iraq, however, is nothing more than a bunch of angry Islamists (is there any other kind?) that think blowing up children is an acceptable form of dissent. I dunno what it should be called, but in my book it's a very uncivil war.